Ostroh Academy is the oldest and, at the same time, the youngest higher education institution in Ukraine, as it is the successor of the first higher education institution in Eastern Europe. Ostroh Slavic-Greek-Latin High School was founded by Prince Vasyl-Konstantin Ostrozky in 1576. The institution taught seven traditional sciences as well as five languages, traditional for Europe. A powerful center of education and science existed until 1636.
The oldest part of the premises of the modern university was built by Capuchin monks in the XVIII century. In 1994, all the buildings were handed over to the Ostroh Higher Collegium, which was restored in Ostroh the same year. In 2000, it received the status of a national university.
National University “Ostroh Academy” is a modern educational institution with 3,000 students studying at one of the 6 faculties. On the basis of the university there is a Museum of the History of the Ostroh Academy and the Scientific Library, which is an automated library and information center. In 2002, a new building was built for the Scientific Library – a domed building, which is the decoration of the university’s indoor park.
In the center of the city in 2019 the grand opening of the new building of the Ostroh Academy took place. Particular attention is paid to the tower of the new building – the city hall, which, in the days of the Ostroh princes was located approximately in the same place.