The gymnasium in Brody was founded in 1865. In 1881-1883 a new building was built according to the project of Lviv architect A. Minasevych. The educational institution was named “Imperial-Royal Higher Real Gymnasium. Archduke Rudolf. The training lasted 8 years and was conducted in German.
In the period between the two world wars, the institution was called the State Gymnasium. Józef Kozienowski. During the Soviet era it was a high school. And only in 1997 the gymnasium was revived, and later named after Ivan Trush.
The names of many famous people are connected with the history of Brody gymnasium: artists Ivan Trush and Mykola Fedyuk, UGA general Myron Tarnavsky, literary critic and translator Vasyl Shchurat, ethnographer Osip Rozdolsky, writers Josef Roth and Leopold Buchkovsky, ideologue of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army – Petr Petal and many more