The building was laid in 1862 as a branch of the Sambir bookstore of Jan Rosenheim. The bookstore had its own printing house, which operated until 1914. In 1886, the company was passed to Rosenheim’s son-in-law Felix West. In 1907 the bookstore was rebuilt in its modern form. The institution operated until 1939.
The building is two-storey, rectangular in plan, elongated along the street Zolota. The second floor is decorated with bronze medallions with portraits of classics of Polish literature Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855), Józef Kozienowski (1797-1863), Juliusz Słowacki (1809-1849), Zygmunt Krasinski (1812-1852), made by the famous Polish sculptor Antoniy Popel (1865-1910).
The monument played an important role in the cultural life of the city in the second half of XIX – first half of XX century, and is an original example of secession in the city. Now the first floor of the building is used for trade, and the second for housing.