One of the oldest collections of antiquities of the Volyn region and Ukraine was founded in 1887 – then in the city for the preservation and study of ancient monuments Volodymyr community organized the Ancient Storage.
At the beginning of the XX century in the collection of the Ancient Storage, which became the prototype of the current museum, there were hundreds of valuable exhibits: old prints, manuscripts (including the Gospel of the XVI century.), Icons, coins. The museum was headed by the local historian-enthusiast, nobleman OM Dvernytsky (1838-1906), chairman of the Brotherhood of St. Volodymyr.
During the interwar period, the historical museum was located in the Dominican monastery, an architectural monument of the XV-XVIII centuries. Today, the Volodymyr-Volynskyi Historical Museum is located in the ancestral home of O. Dvernytsky, an architectural monument of the early XIX century.
The museum stores about 20,000 exhibits of the main fund: archeology, numismatics, iconography, arts and crafts, ethnography; written documents, old prints, photographs. Excursions to the museum exposition, as well as excursions to the architectural and archeological monuments of Volodymyr-Volynskyi and the district are regularly held. The museum regularly hosts thematic exhibitions, as well as personal exhibitions of artists.
The museum cooperates with Volyn and Rivne museums of local lore, Lviv library, Stefanyk National Academy of Sciences, as well as the Zamoyski Museum (Poland)