The church was built in the 1780s. The original purpose of the monument is the chapel of St. Jehoshaphat. The life story of the Greek Catholic Saint Jehoshaphat is closely connected with the city of Volodymyr-Volynskyi. The future saint in the world was named Ivan Kuntsevich.
In 1614, he became archimandrite of the monastery, and in 1617 – assistant bishop. Josaphat Kuntsevych died a martyr’s death in 1623. On June 29, 1867, Pope Pius IX signed a decree according to which Jehoshaphat Kuntsevich was canonized. In 1949, the saint’s remains were reburied under the dome of the Roman papal basilica near the tomb of St. Peter in the Vatican.
The land where Jehoshaphat’s father’s house was located was sold by the saint’s relatives to Porphyry the Treasurer Vazhynsky, a local Greek Catholic archimandrite, and at the request of the bishop, a chapel of St. Jehoshaphat was built in 1780. The building functioned as a chapel for 15 years.
In 1991, the church was transferred to the Orthodox community. At the same time repair and restoration works in the interior were carried out. In the early 2000s, the bell tower was restored near the church