Monument of landscape art of national importance
At the end of the XVIII century. a garden-park was founded in the Lubomirsky “Gorka” farm. In October 1939, after the establishment of Soviet power in Rivne, a decision was made to create a city park of culture and recreation on the territory of the former “Gorka” farm. The park was named after Taras Shevchenko in 1940 on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the poet’s birth. In the spring of 1941, in connection with the 80th anniversary of Taras Shevchenko’s death, the first monument to the Great Kobzar was erected in the park.
In 1947, the area of the park increased to 11 hectares, and in the early 1950s the park further expanded its territory. In the early 1960s, the park housed a planetarium, a shooting range, a laughter room, a reading and television room, a dance floor, a summer theater and a restaurant. In the same years, its limits were expanded to the modern ones.
In 1977–1984, the park was reconstructed, as a result of which it was replenished with new species. A cascade of pools with fountains surrounded by willows was created.
The park, located in the center of Rivne, as of 2020 occupied 32 hectares and had 5 zones: quiet recreation, active recreation, entertainment facilities, sports and children’s sector. There are 160 species of trees and shrubs, many of which are exotic – North American, Far Eastern, South European, species from China, Japan and Central Asia. The age of individual trees reaches 150-200 years.