The Orthodox wooden Holy Resurrection Church in Rivne was built in 1731 near the city food market. On June 12, 1881, the church burned down as a result of a fire, along with many houses, a post office, and a police station.
It was decided to build a new church in the center of Rivne on the site of a wooden church of the Resurrection of Christ, built in 1580, which has not survived until then. The project of the new church was designed by architect Deineka. In 1890, Emperor Alexander III laid the first brick on the lime mortar in the foundation of the future temple.
86 thousand rubles were allocated from the treasury for the construction of a new church. They bought everything necessary for the cathedral, and in Kiev in the art studio of O. Murashko the main three-tiered iconostasis was ordered. All icons were copied from the icons of great artists.
In Soviet times, in 1962, the authorities closed the cathedral and demolished some church buildings. A museum of cosmonautics and scientific atheism was opened in the cathedral. In the following years, the main temple of the city also suffered various shocks.
And only after 27 years of such mockery and various wanderings in April 1989, during the celebration of the millennium of the baptism of Russia, the church was returned to the Orthodox Church, and the Holy Resurrection Cathedral met its parishioners again.